Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A rare and beautiful thing...

So the past month has been...well. Its better now.

But as with all things; the well earned lessons that come from harsh realities far surpasses the trauma of it all.

The lesson I learned that I will always remember, is that friendship...true friendship...will always reign triumphant in tragedy.


Friendship lesson #1: Friends hold you up...
I was distraught. Down and out is a gross understatement...the kind of grief that scares you, you wonder if you will ever feel completely whole again. And there are those rays of lights in the storm...

My first ray of light came in the name of compassion. My cousin Bree is my junior by 5 years; and I have always tried to keep my place in her eyes as big cousin that knows more, has seen more, can make it happen always. But one day when I couldn't move, couldn't breathe with heartache; it was my baby cousin who held my head in her lap until I felt human again. It was my baby cousin that helped me care for my children when all my energy had fled...Thank you for being more than family to me: a Friend.

Friendship lesson #2: Friends keep up encouraged...
I was feeling a little better. A little. My childhood friend that is Ms. Lesa Jimmerson has stayed with me throughout adulthood. She has a very honest tongue. When I am cloudy, she helps clear the fog. I was pretty foggy last week. It is a true friend to give you the hard advice you don't want to hear. It is also a true friend to send you a blessing even when they need one themselves. Thank you for putting up with my for over two decades.

Friendship Lesson #3 Friends are constant...
We as adults have everyday tasks that sometimes keep us from thinking outside our own problems. We may know someone is in distress, but it may not be the forefront of our minds. Thank you Winter for being the kind of friend that notices trouble signs even when I tried my best to conceal them. Even more, thanks for continuing to check on me for every single day leaving me kind notes that I have no doubt took a considerable time to write. Your brand of compassion is a rare and beautiful find. As always, Thank you.

Friendship Lesson #4 Friends help you see the Light...
Sometimes the hardest thing you can do is to leave someone alone. No one wants to be alone; it is our nature to be accepted. With this in mind, often we will hold on to toxic friendships...relationsips...out of obligation. Even when it feels foreign. So when I stopped hearing from my girlfriend Tone, I was hurt initially. Then when she did call she was usually too busy; on her way to bible study, or Sunday School. She didn't come to my dinner parties or want to go out to Girls Night anymore. She wasn't rude or judgemental...just...different. She didn't want to gossip about mutual friends. She was calm. She never complained. So as far as our lives had become it was amazing how consistent she was when I needed her the most. Thank you for giving me an example of what a strong woman of Faith looks like. Thank you for having the courage to say what many would shy away from. The truth...is the best gift sometimes. Love you!

I am overwhelmed with how blessed I have always been...and never really knew it. :-)

True friendship is that wind in placid air. It reminds you that hard times are there so we can marvel at compassion and the resiliency of the sisterhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment